Type: Network of regional organization
Membership: 36 Member States
Contact: Mika Odido, Secretariat, IOC (IOC Africa Sub Commission)
GOOS Africa is administered through the IOC Sub-Commission for Africa and the Adjacent Island States. Sub-Commission officers are defacto officers of GOOS Africa, and represent the African Member States in their relations with the GOOS Regional Alliances.
The Bureau of the Sub-Commission comprises the Chair and three Vice-Chairs elected by the Sub-Commission, and shall serve in accordance with the Guidelines for the Structure and Responsibilities of the Subsidiary Bodies of the Commission. A proposed Regional Ocean Observing Framework System (ROOFS-Africa) to better coordinate ocean observing and operational oceanography across African nations is currently under development.
- Effective management of coastal environments, controlling pollution and safeguarding human health.
- Support for the expanding economic activities in the coastal and offshore zones.
- Protection of the growing coastal populations, especially in the Great Harbour Cities of Africa.
- Effective management of living marine resources.
- Mitigation of natural disasters and extreme events and the impacts of climate change.